China’s DIY Aviators

Discussion, Events, Art, Music, News and Networking.
Stevyn
SysOp
China’s DIY Aviators

Post by Stevyn » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:49 am

source: http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/12/ch ... tors/all/1

SHANGHAI — The buzzing of small airplanes is very rarely heard in China’s vast yet closed skies, and flying for the sheer joy of it is still a novelty. But that is slowly changing as enthusiastic do-it-yourselfers take to the sky by whatever means possible.

China is home to a widespread DIY culture fed by necessity (the mother of all invention) and innovation. These garage builders and innovators are, like their products, often called shanzhai. Literally translated, it means “mountain strongholds,” but it has come to mean nonprofessional or clandestine manufacturers turning out products from the basic to the highly sophisticated. These shanzhai often take familiar products, concepts and marketing memes and remake them with peculiar but innovative twists.
mozi_011.jpg
mozi_011.jpg (89.79KiB)Viewed 8287 times
Aviation is by no means an exception, and it has its share of shanzhai builders. But there is more to it than that. China’s emerging aviator class is spreading its wings with a plethora of approaches, from the ramshackle to the sophisticated to the potentially revolutionary. They’re using everything imaginable, from old motorcycle engines to electric motors to even their own legs, like Mao Yiqing and his human-powered airplane shown above. You could easily plot these adventurous innovators on a graph, with the X axis showing their skill and the Y axis their financial means.

Occupying the lower right corner of that graph would be 20-year-old Wu Zhongyuan, a farmer from Henan province. He has since childhood dreamed of flying and spent three months and $1,600 building a shanzai helicopter. The airframe, if you could call it that, is fabricated from a steel scaffold. Power comes from an old motorcycle engine twirling wood blades. Zhongyuan claims the chopper will fly to 800 meters (2,600 feet), but so far hasn’t been able to prove it.

Provincial authorities have forbidden him from flying on safety grounds.

Moving upward and across our graph we would find Xu Bin, a 31-year-old farmer from Zhejiang province. Bin became an internet sensation and the face of the shanzhai zeitgeist when a video of him flying his autogyro went viral.

Bin managed to design and build the contraption, which uses a rotor for lift and a propeller for thrust, then teach himself how to fly it after checking the internet for guidance. He’s built four flying machines, including a two-seater. It’s strictly a low-budget affair, as Bin finds using new engines beneath his dignity. Using old motorcycle engines, he says, “keeps me on my toes. It prompts me to be a better designer.”

Bin says the craft is inherently safe because it can safely glide to the ground in the event of an engine malfunction. Many wannabe pilots have paid Bin a visit in the three years since his first flight, and he is only too happy to offer advice and guidance gleaned from hundreds of flights.

The authorities, he says, “leave me mostly alone, as I fly low and locally.”

Somewhere toward the upper right side of our graph we would find Mao Yiqing, who has built China’s first — and so far only — human-powered airplane.

He calls the plane Mozi, after the Chinese philosopher who, by many accounts, invented the kite with Lu Ban in the 5th Century BC. Yiqing, who is 40 and lives in Shanghai, follows in the footsteps of Paul MacCready, who built the prize-winning human-powered Gossamer Condor 30 years ago.

Yiqing honed his skills running Oxai, a company that builds high-end remote-control planes. Mozi was built using many of the same techniques and materials — balsa wood, styrofoam and carbon fiber — as his model planes. His workshop is covered with pictures of Eric Raymond, the American pilot who flew his solar glider across the United States and, in June, over the Alps. Yiqing is preparing his plane, which weighs 38 kilograms and has a wingspan of 25 meters, for a flight across Dianshan Lake near Shanghai.

“It’s about 6 kilometers wide,” he says of the lake, “and there’s the risk of losing the airplane. But I’m lightweight and I’m cutting down on the cigarettes.”

Should all go according to plan, Yiqing will bring Mozi to the Birdman Rally in Japan, where he hopes to break the duration record for human-powered flight. Already he’s attracted the attention of Brian L Allen, the cyclist-pilot of the Gossamer Albatross and Condor. I showed Allen, an engineer at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a video of Mozi in flight. He was impressed.

“Flying from an unfinished motorway speaks highly for its controllability,” Allen said.

Appearing at the upper right corner of our graph is Tian Yu, founder of Yuneec International and the man who wants to make electric airplanes a reality.

Tian, like many other DIY aviators, started out manufacturing model airplanes. His company, Helang, builds hundreds of thousands of kits a year. His first foray into electric flight came a few years ago when Yuneec launched an electric paramotor kit. The firm quickly got serious and brought a production-ready electric plane, the E430, to the big AirVenture aviation show in Oshkosh, Wisconsin last summer and made a couple of flights.

Tian is hardly alone in pursuing battery-powered flight; several electric airplanes were on-hand at AirVenture. But the E430 is the slickest of the bunch. It is a sleek V-tailed sport aircraft with room for two, and a 40-kilowatt (54-horsepower) electric motor. Power comes from a lithium-polymer battery pack the company claims recharges in three hours. Flight time ranges from 90 minutes to three hours, depending on how the plane is configured.

Yuneec isn’t stopping there. It plans to equip other ultralight kits with electric motors ranging from 10 to 60 kilowatts. Tian concedes battery technology “is not there yet” because range remains an issue, but he’s optimistic his planes and electric drivetrains will find a market.

“Pilots will fly electric, someday,” he says.
Contact me directly: Ironfeatherbooks (@) gmail.com