file checker in vista

Computer security issues, hacker & phreak news, conferences, Q&A, etc.

Computer chat, coding, reviews, hardware or software...

Share your infos!
Stevyn
SysOp
file checker in vista

Post by Stevyn » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:49 pm

For some reason in Windows Vista, even if you're signed in as an administrator, you're still required to use the command Run as Administrator from within Vista sometimes. This holds true for the functions that are available in the Command Prompt - you won't have access to all functions unless you have opened the Command Prompt with the Run as Administrator specification. Here's how you do it:

1. Click on the Start button.

2. In the search box, type in cmd or Command Prompt - Do not press enter.

3. cmd.exe or Command Prompt will show up in the search results (depending on what you searched for).

4. Right click cmd.exe (or Command Prompt) in the search results and select Run as Administrator

5. In the Command Prompt window, type: sfc /scannow and then press Enter

6. A message will appear stating that \'the system scan will begin\'

7. Be patient because the scan may take some time

8. If any files require replacing SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Vista DVD for this process to continue

9. If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations "

10. Need to access cbs.log?

How can I disable the User Account Control (UAC) feature on my Windows Vista computer?

by Daniel Petri - January 8, 2009

Windows Vista has the built-in ability to automatically reduce the potential of security breaches in the system. It does that by automatically enabling a feature called User Account Control (or UAC for short). The UAC forces users that are part of the local administrators group to run like they were regular users with no administrative privileges.
read rest of docs here:

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

http://i.nconspicuo.us/2007/04/10/windo ... inistrator

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/system_file_checker.htm

Alexander Mundy

Re: file checker in vista

Post by Alexander Mundy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:13 pm

Sounds helpful.

One complaint I have about Vista is that I bot it along w/ a bunch of other hrdwre from Dell and had 30 days free tech asst., but Dell did nothing to help.

Dell just makes you waii---t on hold, validate acct info and re-validate your account info after transferring your call to more people who don't help.

No wonder their quarterly profits came in way below estimates.

The other major one is that it has these damn clouds that follow around my cursor and get in the way of me clicking onto the text I'm browsing.

I'd say it is unnecessary but it goes far beyond that. I mean, I can't even begin to imagine what the person who decided to put it there thougt it was supposed to be helping. Anyone?

Also, every time I download updates the performance gets worse.

OtoH, If I dOn't download the updates, it is constantly running this program in the taskbar reminding me, " updates are available."

Last time I selected some updates, it disabled my hybernate function so that now all I can do is sleep.

If anyone can help me fix these without my having to run any executable software, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Alex