Do You Care About Privacy?

Computer security issues, hacker & phreak news, conferences, Q&A, etc.

Computer chat, coding, reviews, hardware or software...

Share your infos!
Stevyn
SysOp

Post by Stevyn » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:37 am

source : http://www.augmentedplanet.com/2009/11/ ... t-privacy/

Author: lesterm

When blogging I don’t like to follow the herd mentality and report the same news you can read everywhere else. However is well worth mentioning the report from Juniper that augmented reality is set to explode with the mobile augmented reality market set to gross $732 million by 2012. The report attributes this largely to the adoption of Android and iPhone devices and their respective application stores making it easy for consumers to find and buy applications. It’s big news with lots of links but if you haven’t stumbled upon the story yet you can read about it here.

Privacy
The report goes to talk about privacy and how there is a potential issue with geotagging data and who owns that data. I must admit that I have changed my mind over the whole privacy issue.
Until recently I didn’t care about privacy, if I chose to geotag my location it’s because I want people to know where I am. I want an application where I can share my location with all my friends and let them track me in real-time. I’ll turn it off when I don’t want people to know were I am.

But what happens when another user geotags your location with information you don’t want to share?
I recently tested an augmented reality application and took a picture from my house and uploaded it to the applications server. I’m going to keep the application anonymous, but between me uploading to see the 3D animation and deleting the picture another user quite innocently found my picture and put some details there that I wouldn’t necessarily want to have associated with my home address. There was nothing malicious about the action, just an Innocent simple modification but the result is I now don’t own that data.

In this particular photo my personal blog has become associated with my home address. If in the future I blog that I am on holiday, my home address is geotagged with my my blog feed telling everyone I am away and the house is empty. Since the picture was taken outside my house it wouldn’t take a particularly bright burglar to find where I live. Yes there are lots of applications that enable you to geotag your location, twitter clients for example so it’s unfair to pick on a particular application. However with other applications it’s your responsibility to turn the sharing on or off, if another user tags you and shares data how do you get it removed?

I looked though the applications UI and there is no report content option (if there is it wasn’t obvious), so I looked through the companies website and eventually found an email address where you can email about privacy. I sent an email asking for the picture to be removed and was surprised that I received a bounce because the ‘privacy@xxx.com’ address doesn’t exists. I’m sure it’s an oversight and the company will correct it (I have asked).
What are you sharing?

What are you sharing?

Why should you care about geotagging?

* If you geotag a picture with your new 50″ plasma TV in the background and upload it to the web, congratulations you have just told everyone where you live and what you have of value.
* The web has a long memory, geotag something today and in six months is still on the web. When you tweet from the beach in Barbados telling your friends you are away for 2 weeks that picture of your 50″ plasma will still be out there along with it’s location.
* It’s easy to track down someones home address if you have their real name

I know this is an extreme case, I’m not anti geotagging or a privacy freak that thinks Google StreeMaps should be banned or anything like that, but I do think privacy is a real issue.
It’s not a problem that is unique to augmented reality applications but considering the growth expected in the industry it needs to be addressed and users protected from sharing to much data. In the meantime it’s up to us to think before you share.

Alexander Mundy

Re: Do You Care About Privacy?

Post by Alexander Mundy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:32 am

FANtastic write up westerm!

Unless you want to be constantly changing your personal info, make sure you don't say or do anything on the internet that you don't want everyone to be able to find out.

Once its out there, its out there.

You may think now, that you are a nobody and no one will ever want to defame or follow you around, but that can change and often does. If it does, you won't want stuff that you wrote 15 yrs ago hanging around to be dredged up and/ or quoted out of context.

Check out this latest article about people fiding out about stuff that you think is being kept private:

Wireless Security
About a year ago a guy named Erik and some people showed how to crack the WPA encryption on a wireless network.

http://www.itworld.com/security/57285/once-thought-safe...

Now some people named Finn, Olav, Martin, and Stig have shown how to do it better.

http://books.google.com/books?id=mSMsqoqufMoC&pg=PA...

Alexander Mundy

Post by Alexander Mundy » Thu May 13, 2010 6:21 am

Okay, the search engine I have been using for privacy,

<http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi>

has been disabled by Google so, the best way for me to protect my privacy is to have what is sometimes referred to as an acid pack.

Basically, if anyone brute-forces their way into your machine and/ or begins to access your hard drive w/o permission, the acid pack melts your memories.

I searched for an acid pack but all I find is references to a game.

Where can I get an acid pack, please?

Thanks,

Alex

P.S. I want to change my user name.

That Aexander Mundy guy uses guns and force.

I thought I remembered him never using a gun but I guess I was wrong.

Its no fun if you gotta use a gun.

Stevyn
SysOp

Post by Stevyn » Fri May 14, 2010 5:18 am

i ahve not heard of an acid pack but maybe a software to write 0 on every thing?
Contact me directly: Ironfeatherbooks (@) gmail.com

Alexander Mundy

Post by Alexander Mundy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:51 am

yes, I don't kow how the acid pack works but the idea is that ultimately, physical eveidence (your machine) is necessary to rule out deniability i.e. reasoable doubt.

The acid pack makes it so that if someone (DHS, FBI, PIS, NIS, SIS, etc.)accesses your machine without proper permission, the machine melts itself.

oopsy daisy, no evidence.

As for someone sharing info about someone other than themself (rumor inuendo, B.S.), its like anonymity. As long as YOU didn't share it and don't validate it, then its always possible thaty its bullshit.

So, the secret is to maintain anonymity by exploiting that possibility to the max. When questioned for authenticity, never try to claim credit for something. I'm you and you're me. Criss cross.

The problem is, if you 're trying to make $ off of your personality or off the internet. Showboat. Which is why I like the internet so much. Its about principle and content rather than property, prestige or personality.

The internet doesn't work for rich or famous fuckers! Woo-fuckin'-hooo!

That's why I LOVE to use their famous fucking names!
Willaim Lynch,
Steve,a.k.a."Blow",Jobs,
Carly Fiorina,
EnriqueSalem,
AlbertPujols,
YolandaSolis,
J.DavidDominelli,
eat your f-ing hearts out!

And their photos, too.

I make lists of famous fuckers.

Every time I see and hear the name and face of a famous fucker, I add them and their photo if I can get it. Which, since they're famous, I always cAn!

Today I'm Alberto Gonzalez. Tomorrow, I'm Seargent Pepperoni or Tommy Salami. (Someone here order a pizza?)

In reality, I am doing them a favor by allowing deniability. The more famous and rich, the more of a favor it is.

This is why "hacking" is good. It is the antedote for the internet being expensive.

And, why open souce software works; it is free, so so no motive to steal it or persmissions for it.

Instead of "joining 'an on-line community'" people who go on facebook, etc. are really excluding themsleves FROM Thee on-line community.

I may give Stevyn credit for helping inspire millions of grass roots users to get on the net, but, unless he starts shooting off his mouth about it and CLAIMS credit, its okay.

Kompai,

Jack, fuckin', Benny