Atlas of America (Hardcover)

Post your stuff for sale here and not on the other forums.
Stevyn
SysOp

Post by Stevyn » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:21 am

by Editors of Readers Digest

$5

# Hardcover: 256 pages
# Publisher: Readers Digest
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0762100729
# Product Dimensions: 14.2 x 11.1 x 1 inches
# Shipping Weight: 4.5 pounds

This is an everyman atlas with lovely photographs, useful maps, and interesting articles. It handles the job and does it beautifully. But do *not* confuse it with one of those grandiose, pricy atlases that one displays in an air-controlled room on a wooden platform. This atlas is approachable and meant to be used...often. As described on its first page, the "ATLAS OF AMERICA is a comprehensive visual fact book about the nation and its 50 states. Containing more than 200 maps, along with text, graphs, and vivid color photographs, it is a treasure trove of fascinating and valuable information about this country..."

When one hears the name "Reader's Digest" one tends to think of condensed novels and magazines. Atlases just do not come to mind. I certainly would never have thought to buy this atlas, except that while comparison shopping at a major bookstore, I selected it out of all of the available atlases. I am glad that I did. It was easy on my wallet and it has served me well during the two years that I've owned it.

My primary goal in selecting an atlas was to find one that indicated county borders & names on its maps and also contained a comprehensive index of towns/cities. As an amateur genealogist (family tree researcher) I have found that knowing the appropriate county name is often a very significant research tool. This atlas has had nearly every town listed that I have ever looked for, even the truly tiny ones, and has been a joy to use. It contains a General Index and a Geographic Index. The Geographic Index is my favorite. The thoroughness of the Geographic Index makes it easy to find towns in the listing and then to pinpoint them within the state maps. And though the counties are clearly defined enough to suit my needs, their smoky grey outlines and labels do not obscure the maps in any way. Some other items included on the maps are: highways, international airports, dams, lakes, state capitols, county seats, and other notable points of interest.

Though the Geographic Index is marvelous, it is not the only significant feature of this atlas. This atlas is chock full of gorgeous photography and informative articles about the nation, the states, and their histories. The book's first section, entitled "The Nation," is composed of a variety of articles including: "Weather and Climate," "America's Plant Kingdom," "The Peopling of the Americas," "Notable Men and Women," and "The Changing Face of America." This section is so extensive that the map section does not even get started until page 74! And, as mentioned before, the photography is incredibly beautiful.

The ATLAS OF AMERICA would be very useful for anyone with a general interest in American geography, a genealogist like myself, or even students working on school projects.
atlas.jpg
atlas.jpg (17.05KiB)Viewed 2440 times
Contact me directly: Ironfeatherbooks (@) gmail.com